Children and Youth Christian Education
|Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6
“We realize that parents need support and assistance in their Christian Education efforts. Thus, the St. Michael’s Sunday school staff teaches a strong scripture-based curriculum for 3-year olds through high schoolers. If we don’t tell them the faith stories, how will they know?” (Debbie Vickery, Children’s Education Minister)
Sunday Morning Christian Education Programs
St. Michael’s Nursery
We offer a quality nursery program for infants through 3 yr. olds from 8:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. every Sunday. It is staffed by four experienced nannies who have been through the Episcopal Church’s “Safeguarding God’s Children” training. We have two rooms in our nursery, one for infants – 24 months and one for two year olds. The two year old room has a morning schedule that includes a Bible story, outside play, indoor play, art time, snack time, end of the morning boxes and more! When children turn three and are potty trained, they move into the 3 & 4 year old Sunday school class.
Sunday School for Children and Youth
Programs at: 9:00 a.m. & 11:00 a.m.
Sunday School Overview
Children and youth attend class at the beginning of the services and join worship in progress (at the Peace). During their class, they hear lessons and respond to them on their developmental level while the adults are hearing the lessons of the day and a sermon (a response to the lessons). Then we all experience the liturgy of the table and Eucharist together. Children are welcome to attend the whole worship service if they prefer not to attend Sunday school.
*No Sunday School classes are provided Easter morning.
Curriculum Descriptions & Class Locations:
- 3 – 4 year olds (Room #2)
Let the Children Come - Children hear a story and participate with craft stick figures created for each story. Class begins with free play time, followed by “The Lords Prayer” which opens circle time. Next, the story is presented and is followed by craft time at the table.
- Kindergarteners to Fifth Graders (check bulletin board outside room #7 for weekly room location) Workshop Rotation – Grass roots curriculum, ideas shared online (rotation.org). The story is told three weeks in a row, but in a different workshop for each grade level (ours include cooking something that ties with the story in Garden of Eatin’, acting out the story or using the puppet theatre in Parable Productions and creating an art project in How Great Thou Art). [Multi-intelligence based and the most exciting curriculum we have seen in years.]
- Sixth to Twelfth Graders (Room #8)
Living the Good News – Lectionary based curriculum written by the Episcopal Diocese of Colorado Christian Education Department. There is a weekly focus which reflects the theme of the scriptures for that Sunday. Class time includes opening activities, scripture readings, discussions and “going deeper” experiences. Taught by our Youth Minister and experienced adult mentors.
10:10 to 10:50 Sunday Morning Programs
During the adult classe sat 10:10 a.m., these programs are offered for children of all ages:
- Infants through 5 year olds: VIP: Very Important Pre-schoolers (Nurseries A & B) – Free play and snack with nannies in our nurseries.
- Kindergarten to Fifth Graders: Kid’s Intermission (Room #4) – Boardgames for elementary age children. A time to develop friendships and interact in a fun environment. Coordinated by Debbie Vickery.
- Sixth to Twelfth Graders: Breakfast Club (Room #8) – A time to socialize and enjoy light snacks with our youth minister, Mary Conkling.
Summer Sunday School
During the summer, we offer two Sunday School classes:
3 year olds – graduates of Kindergarten
graduates of 1st through 5th grades
The younger class experiences bible stories through a Big Book curriculum which includes free play, story time and craft time. The older class enjoys a bible game each Sunday, rotating between Bible Bingo, Bible Jingo, Bible Charades and Scripture Scramble
Vacation Bible Camp 2013
VBC 2013: June 10 – 14, a week of fun and adventure for kindergarteners – 5th graders. Registration: March 24, 2013 ($20.00/child). Contact Debbie Vickery for more information.
- – – – -