|Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6|
Summer Sunday School starts June 1 and continues until August 31 2014
During the summer, we offer two Sunday School classes during both the 9am and 11am services. Please bring your children to the education wing before the start of the service, we will bring them back into church in time for Eucharist
3 – 4/5 year olds – room #2
graduates of K through 4th grades – room #4
The younger class experiences bible stories through a Big Book curriculum which includes free play, story time and craft time. The older class have fun with bible games, stories and crafts
There is no Sunday school during the summer at either services for middle and high schoolers
Nursery for 3 and under is available, as usual, from 8:45am to 12:30pm
School year Sunday morning christian Education programs
St. Michael’s Nursery
We offer a quality nursery program for infants through 3 yr. olds from 8:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. every Sunday. It is staffed by four experienced nannies who have been through the Episcopal Church’s “Safeguarding God’s Children” training. We have two rooms in our nursery, one for infants – 24 months and one for two year olds. The two year old room has a morning schedule that includes a Bible story, outside play, indoor play, art time, snack time and more! When children turn three and are potty trained, they move into the 3 & 4 year old Sunday school class.
Sunday School for Children and Youth
Programs at: 9:00 a.m. & 11:00 a.m.
Sunday School Overview
Children and youth attend class at the beginning of the services and join worship in progress (at the Peace). During their class, they hear lessons and respond to them on their developmental level while the adults are hearing the lessons of the day and a sermon (a response to the lessons). Then we all experience the liturgy of the table and Eucharist together. Children are welcome to attend the whole worship service if they prefer not to attend Sunday school.
*No Sunday School classes are provided Easter morning or the first Sunday after Christmas
Curriculum Descriptions & Class Locations:
- 3 – 4 year olds (Room #2)
Let the Children Come - Children hear a story and participate with craft stick figures created for each story. Class begins with free play time, followed by “The Lords Prayer” which opens circle time. Next, the story is presented and is followed by craft time at the table.
- Kindergarteners to Fifth Graders (check bulletin board inside education wing entrance for weekly room location) Workshop Rotation – Grass roots curriculum, ideas shared online (rotation.org). The story is told three weeks in a row, but in a different workshop for each grade level (ours include cooking something that ties with the story in Garden of Eatin’, acting out the story or using the puppet theatre in Parable Productions and creating an art project in How Great Thou Art). [Multi-intelligence based and the most exciting curriculum we have seen in years.]
- Sixth to Twelfth Graders (Rooms #6 and #8)
Living the Good News – Lectionary based curriculum written by the Episcopal Diocese of Colorado Christian Education Department. There is a weekly focus which reflects the theme of the scriptures for that Sunday. Class time includes opening activities, scripture readings, discussions and “going deeper” experiences. Taught by our Youth Minister and experienced adult mentors.
10:10 to 10:50 Sunday Morning Programs
During the adult classe sat 10:10 a.m., these programs are offered for children of all ages:
- Infants through 5 year olds: VIP: Very Important Pre-schoolers (Nurseries A & B) – Free play and snack with nannies in our nurseries.
- Kindergarten to Fifth Graders: Kid’s Intermission (Room #4) – games and crafts, time to develop friendships and interact in a fun environment.
- Sixth to Twelfth Graders: Breakfast Club (Room #8) – A time to socialize and enjoy light snacks with our youth minister, Mary Conkling.
Vacation Bible Camp 2014 June 9-13
Workshop of Wonders will be a week of fun and adventure for 4 year olds rising to kindergarten through graduates of 4th grade. Invite your family and friends! Volunteers also wanted to help with classes, decorating, prayers and all sorts of other things – click here to register to attend and/or to volunteer
We also have Service Camp June 9 – 13 for our graduates of 5th – 11th grade. They will help with VBC and other projects in the church - Click here to register
For more information about VBC or any of our programs for children and youth contact Lesley Margerrison Children’s Christian Education Minister.
- – – – -
Questions about any of our programs for children and youth? Contact Lesley Margerrison, Children’s Christian Education Minister.
A special thank you to all our teachers and seconds, who this year have continued to nurture the children and youth of St. Michael’s in their constantly evolving relationship with Chirst. Christian Formation is the foundations of the church, and we appreciate all who have volunteered this year.