Volunteering as a Teacher or a Seconds Minister
Our Sunday school classes are church for our children; a time and place where they can be open to, and connect with, God. They do this through bible stories presented in age appropriate ways that engage them, that are fun and that are meaningful to them
If you are interested in serving as a Sunday School volunteer, please contact Lesley Margerrison, Children’s Education Minister.
Sunday School Teacher and Seconds Responsibilities
Our classes follow the school year so it is a nine month program from September until May. Each teacher or second rotates with another adult and there are always two volunteers in each class so each volunteer serves on average once every two weeks. Rotating partners are free to organize their own schedule and to find substitutes if need be. Choice of age range, session (for the 9am or 11am service) and classroom theme is available.
Note: no Sunday School is provided on Christmas Day, New Year’s Day or Easter Sunday
- a teacher and seconds training/orientation session will be provided on the Saturday of the week before Sunday school resumes after the summer
- Safeguarding God’s Children certification is required for all Sunday school volunteers and training will be provided if needed (the training certificate lasts for 5 years)
- classes begin at 8:45a.m. and 10:45 a.m.
- classes end at 9:40 a.m. and 11:45 a.m: volunteers and children are always in the worship service for Eucharist
- all teaching materials are provided. K-12 grade teachers do have some prior preparation (approx. 1 hr) in order to be ready to teach the lessons – comprehensive plans are provided. Seconds are not required to do any prior preparation.
- there is no preparation necessary if you teach the 3 & 4 y.o. class.
- seconds are not required to teach or prepare for the lessons but the information is always available if requested. The seconds role is to help the children settle into the room, focus and attend to the teacher, take part in the classroom activities and, in general, be part of the learning experience.
Feedback is always welcome: volunteers experiences and ideas help shape the structure of the lessons and ensure that everyone has a fulfilling and spiritual time during Sunday school.
St. Michael’s Sunday School Classes
8:45 a.m. & 10:45a.m.
3 – 4 year olds
Kindergarten – 5th Grade (Workshop Rotation)
- Garden of Eatin’
- Parable Productions
- How Great Thou Art
6th – 8th Grades
9th – 12th Grades