Bible stories, with their drama and excitement, their miracles and battles, their messages of love, faithfulness, hope, and joy all show children the wonder of the presence of God. At St Michael’s we guide children on their faith journey in an environment that encourages them to be open, honest and genuinely enquiring.
Ledges: youth group for 3rd to 5th graders: next meeting February 3
Family Spirituality Children’s Program Wednesdays Feb 17, 24 March 2, 9
Children have an innate spirituality; an openness to God’s creation around them and to their own life within it. In our church community we can nurture that spirituality into a life of faith. The children’s part of Family Spirituality will be an interactive, scripture based program developed from the Episcopal Relief and Development Abundant Life project. Through the themes of water, seeds, soil and animals the children will begin to learn about service and about becoming mindful of the needs of others. The children’s program will start after the family meal (6:45pm) and will end promptly at 7:45. It is open to all Kindergarten through 5th grade children. Child care for 4 yrs. and younger is available in the nursery from 6 to 8 pm. Please contact Lesley Margerrison children’s minister for more details or to sign up for childcare
Sunday School Overview
Children and youth attend class at the beginning of the services and join worship in progress (at the Peace). During their class, they hear lessons and respond to them on their developmental level while the adults are hearing the lessons of the day and a sermon (a response to the lessons). Then we all experience the liturgy of the table and Eucharist together. Children are welcome to attend the whole worship service if they prefer not to attend Sunday school.
Curriculum Descriptions & Class Locations:
- 3 – 4 year olds (Room #2)
Godly play stories Children hear a story and participate in a craft activity created for each story.
- Kindergarteners to Fifth Graders (check bulletin board inside education wing entrance for weekly room location). Workshop Rotation – Grass roots curriculum, ideas shared online (rotation.org). The story is told three weeks in a row, but in a different workshop for each grade level (ours include cooking something that ties with the story in Garden of Eatin’, acting out the story or using the puppet theatre in Parable Productions and creating an art project in How Great Thou Art). [Multi-intelligence based and the most exciting curriculum we have seen in years.]
- Sixth to Twelfth Graders (Rooms #6 and #8)
Living the Good News – Lectionary based curriculum written by the Episcopal Diocese of Colorado Christian Education Department. There is a weekly focus which reflects the theme of the scriptures for that Sunday. Class time includes opening activities, scripture readings, discussions and “going deeper” experiences. Taught by our Youth Minister and experienced adult mentors.
10:10 to 10:50 Sunday Morning Programs
During the adult classe sat 10:10 a.m., these programs are offered for children of all ages:
- Infants through 5 year olds: VIP: Very Important Pre-schoolers (Nurseries A & B) – Free play and snack with nannies in our nurseries.
- Kindergarten to Fifth Graders: Kid’s Intermission (Room #6) – games and crafts, time to develop friendships and interact in a fun environment.
- Sixth to Twelfth Graders: Breakfast Club (Room #8) – A time to socialize and enjoy light snacks with our youth minister, Mary Conkling.