St. Michael’s Episcopal Church (SMEC) in Austin, TX, seeks a part-time Assistant for Communication and Administration to partner with the rector and staff to assist in the day-to-day work of managing the administrative and communication needs of the parish. The Assistant for Communication and Administration we seek will be motivated, organized, and reliable. He or she will be eager to learn, work hard, and partner with the rector and staff in reaching our goals.
Above all, the Assistant for Communication and Administration will be on his or her own vibrant journey of faith and will articulate the importance of Jesus Christ in his or her own life. Under the supervision of the rector and in partnership with the staff and people of St. Michael’s, the Assistant for Communication and Administration will:
• Design and print materials related to Sunday morning worship and special events (the 11am worship book, the weekly newsletter, special flyers and promos, etc.).
• Maintain the appearance of the office and work to uphold a tidy, welcoming
front office and hospitality space for guests.
• Manage general correspondence and announcements.
• Serve as the default receptionist, work at the front desk, answer phone calls, accept packages, and greet guests and parishioners.
• Assist with audio and video production and upload the Sunday sermon each week to SoundCloud.
• Perform general administrative tasks at the direction of the rector and business manager in handling office needs (assist with mailings, etc.).
• Manage the St. Michael’s social media pages in concert with other members of the St. Michael’s staff (youth minister, family minister, etc.).
• Attend weekly staff meetings.
• Be a team player, working to problem-solve with other staff members as we strive to reach common goals.
• Learn and stay educated in hardware, software and technology as it becomes useful to the church.
• Offer administrative support to the rector.
• Manage the St. Michael’s website and make regular updates (Squarespace).
• Balance forward-thinking creative projects with day-to-day office management and tasks.
• Worship at St. Michael’s on a Sunday morning on occasion to get a “feel” for the community he/she serves.
• Go above and beyond all items listed in this job description and perform other duties as assigned to ensure excellence in administration and communication at St. Michael’s Episcopal Church.
The ideal candidate will:
• Love Jesus Christ and seek to serve Him in and through this position with fullness of heart, mind, soul and strength.
• Work well with a team and enjoy the ongoing process of learning, challenge, and growth
that the job requires.
• Display a genuine love and natural affinity for connecting with parishioners at the office
during the week.
• Commit to the quality of his/her discipleship and seek to grow in self-awareness,
vulnerability, and emotional maturity in and through this position.
• Value hard work, accountability, and follow-through.
• Strive to embody the four values we seek in leaders at St. Michael’s (growth-oriented,
creativity, integrity, and faith-full).
• Be proficient in photography, digital media and graphic design (desired, not required).
• Have a college degree. Pay, Hours, and Benefits
The Assistant for Communication and Administration is expected to work 20-25 hours a week. Pay and hours will be negotiated during the interview process. Candidates interested in this position should notify The Rev. John W. Newton at email@example.com as soon as possible and send a cover letter, résumé, and references shortly thereafter.
The values we seek from leaders at St. Michael’s, Austin:
Growth-oriented: The leadership of St. Michael’s has prioritized growth in (1) numbers (ASA), (2) spiritual depth (discipleship) and (3) community impact (mission). We want goal-oriented, growth-minded leaders who are completely non-cynical, positive in their outlook, and willing to serve “the whole” and not just advocate for their favorite part.
Creativity: The growth we seek requires innovation, emotional risk, and openness to change. We want passionate and positive leaders who understand that learning, struggle, and adaptability always go hand-in-hand for something new and worthwhile to be born.
Integrity: We believe that character determines fruitfulness in ministry more than any goal we set out to achieve. We believe leaders walk their talk, and we aim to be people of candor, reliability, generosity, and accountability.
Faith-full: We want leaders who actively seek to deepen their relationship with Jesus Christ. We expect our leaders to regularly attend worship, to make a financial contribution to St. Michael’s Episcopal Church, and to build meaningful relationships with other parishioners based on vulnerability, trust, and care.
Please send all information and applications to Rev. John Newton (JNewton@St-Michaels.org).